Sunday, June 8, 2008
So it's obviously been a while since I've posted anything. We had a wonderful storm come through last Sunday morning. Jeremy and I awoke to an extreme amount of thunder and lightening. Around 4:45 a.m. a bolt of lightening lit up our room followed quickly by the loudest BOOOOOOM I've ever heard. Then the power went out. We figured everyones power was out, so we opened up a window for some ventilation and went back to sleep.
Much to our surprise at 8:30 a.m.... the power was still out. Around 9:30 a.m. I decided to walk outside and found that our neighbors all had power. We called the electric company, attempted to get ready, and went out to walk the mall and get some lunch. We were praying that once we got home, the power would be back on. Staying at the house in a 90* heat wave with no air conditioning is just no fun.. especially being 9 mos pregnant!
We returned home shortly after noon, and it seemed that everything was working. For some reason, the cable wouldn't work (for the TV, internet & phone). We called Comcast, and they reassured us that all of Murfreesboro was out of service, so we weren't concerned.
Thats when the adventure began! Shortly later, Jeremy starts realizing that the temperature in the house kept rising despite that it was set at 72*. He went outside to look and the fan was running but no cool air was coming out in the house... UGH... So around 7:00 p.m. we called the air conditioner repair man and luckily, they said they could have someone out at the house between 8-10 p.m. Having that phone call out of the way, I called Comcast to see if there was an update. Their answer.. "Everyone in Murfreesboro is out of service, we'll credit you for today's service being out".. nice, but not the answer I was seeking.
The air conditioning repair man came around 8:30 p.m. and worked until about 10:00. (His wife is also 9 mos pregnant... but with TWINS.. he understood the need for air conditioning). He resolved the problem, BUT we needed to keep the unit off throughout the night. Seeing as it was already so late, we loaded up all the fans we own into our bedroom, and braced ourselves for another night without air conditioning.
Monday morning, we turned the air conditioner back on, and it worked great. I was in a good mood! I check all of the Comcast things... NOTHING WAS WORKING. The phone itself wouldn't work, the cable box wouldn't even turn on, and the cable modem had no power. HMMM very strange. I ran some errands, came back that afternoon.. same scenario. I called the Comcast people and explained our situation and this time I got a different answer "I'm sorry ma'am there aren't any shortages in Murfreesboro, we'll have to send out a technician to your house. The earliest appt I have is tomorrow anytime between 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Is that alright?" Sure! Guess there aren't any other options!!!
So the saga continued... The Comcast guy came out on Tuesday and the diagnosis was that a power surge must have run through the house blew the cable box, the modem and our phone. His question for me was "Did your house get struck by lightening?" My sarcastic response "Well there wasn't a flaming hole anywhere on the house or property so I don't think so!" He fixed the cable box, replaced the modem and got the connections working. Now we needed to buy a new Linksys wireless modem and a phone.
Luckily, we were extremely blessed and somehow got away with this bill:
1. Air conditioning repair man: FREE (we had done other things through them and the part that was the problem.. some other repair man and messed it up)
2. Comcast: FREE (since we're "leasing" out their equipment, they replaced it all)
3. Phone & Linksys Box
We had a $100.00 budget to have a fun Saturday together before Kinsley comes and this is how we spent it...
Lunch: $30.00
Phone: $30.00 (Radio Shack was running a big sale... two cordless phones for $30!)
Linksys Box: $50.00 (Best Buy was running a sale on their wireless modems)
So somehow, we got away with getting EVERYTHING back to working status with only spending about $10.00! That was a MAJOR blessing! It could have easily cost us several hundred dollars!!! The only other costs have involved re-stocking the fridge and freezer since we had to throw pretty much everything out.
All in all, its been a CRAZY week, but exactly one week later, we have everything working. HUGE RELIEF! I hope everyone finds some humor in this lovely post, and understands this THIS is why I havent gotten to post anything lately!
